The solution seeks to improve public and environmental health in the Egyptian countryside through the safe disposal of wastewater and sewage treatment and re-use of wastewater in irrigation.
- To build a model for liquid waste and used water treatment facility, simple and low-cost in its design, construction, operation and maintenance, to be a model for rural Egyptian communities, promoting the health of the public and the environment;
- To reduce the pollution from miss use for the wastewater in the poor communities preventing the ground water from pollution , this also resulted from the wrong way in getting provide healthy environment for the poor communities in the rural rationalize the use of water in the targeted communities and encourage the use of satiation`s treated water in irrigation;
- To raise awareness of the targeted communities about the healthy and environmental ways of disposal of wastewater;
- To reduce the levels of groundwater that cause damage in buildings foundation , bad smells and spread of harmful insects.
The system components:
- Assembly lines: connecting houses with the system.
- Collection Manhole point: gathering waste water and transferring it to the lifting station.
- Lifting Station: Forcing the waste water into the main pumps to treatment station.
- The treatment plant: composed of an anaerobic bacteria treatment chamber; an aerated weir; an air injection tank, and finally a gravel bed planted with local cane treating organic matter with naturally generated anaerobic bacteria feeding filtered water into a gravity-fed sequence of three shallow ponds for solar treatment.
The model represents a technology alternative to the government wastewater solution and has been successfully implemented by the Together Association for Development and Environment in cooperation with the private sector in the two adjacent villages of Al-Beni Suef (Jaafar and Jacob), with a total population of 10 thousand people and in Abd El Kawy Shaeetan village in Fayoum Governorate with a total population of 3 thousand people.
Partners: IFAD, Together Association for Development and Environment, private sector, local communities
Together Association for Development and Environment (TADE)
31 A Elfateh st, close to Eltarbia and Eltalem building 5th floor Ard Soltan - El Minia - Egypt
Mr. Sameh Seif Ghaly, Head of the Board